Countries around the world are caught between the nationalist longing for the glories of an imagined past and imposing ethno-nationalist laws built on exclusion and vilification of the countries minorities. Our roundup curated by Anna Levy, brings you the latest news, analysis and commentary on ethnonational laws being implemented in India, the United States, Israel, and China amongst others.
- The neo-fascist moment of neoliberalism, Éric Fassin, Open Democracy, Aug 10, 2018
- Israel Arming Neo-Nazis in Ukraine, Asa Winstanley, The
ElectronicIntifada, July 4, 2018
- The Pitfalls and Perils of the Trump-Putin-Netanyahu Triad, Chemi Shalev, Haaretz, July 26, 2018
The United States
- Migrant Children and Family Separation in the United States, Westenley Alcenat, Black Perspectives, July 16, 2018
- The Korematsu Moment for Muslim Americans, Khaled A Beydoun, Al Jazeera, June 2018.
- In America, Naturalized Citizens No Longer Have an Assumption of Permanence, Masha Gessen, New Yorker, June 2018.
- Ctrl-Alt-Delete: The origins and ideology of the Alternative Right, Matthew N. Lyons, Political Research Associates, January 20, 2017.
- NRC: Why the Supreme Court ruling could be a prelude to ethnic cleansing, Sanjay Hegde & Pranjal
Kishore ,Business Standard, August 6, 2018
- Is India Creating Its Own Rohingya? Hartosh Singh Bal, New York Times, August 10, 2018
- “Refusing Citizenship”, Praveen Donthi interviewed by Vasundhara Sirnate, Polis Project Suddenly Stateless Conversation Series, August 2018
- The missing 400,007,707: Can a democracy permit so many to be in a state of liminal legality? Sanjib Baruah, The Indian Express, Aug 2, 2018
- What Happens to India’s Four Million ‘Stateless’ People? Soutik Biswas, BBC, July 30, 2018
- Book Review: Darryl Li on Mazen Masri’s “The Dynamics of Exclusionary Constitutionalism: Israel as a Jewish and Democratic State,” Darryl Li, i-CONnect, August 10, 2018
- What Does it Mean to Return, and Return, and Return? Ayah Abdelhaleem, Mada Masr, May 24, 2018
- Understanding Gaza, Toufic Haddad interviewed by
JehadAbu Salim, Gaza Unlocked, July 30, 2018
- As Jews, we reject the myth that it’s antisemitic to call Israel racist, Rebecca Vilkomerson and Richard Kuper, The Independent, July 22, 2018
- Uyghur Papers, Central Asia Program, George Washington University
- One million Muslim Uighurs held in secret China camps: UN panel, Al Jazeera, August 10, 2018
- China’s Uighur oppression runs deeper than Islamophobia, Usaid Siddiqui, AlAraby, May 10, 2018