By Maria Amir
12 September 2021
There are lots of songs I listen to for motivation, inspiration and to both feed and/or quell my rage. Here are some of the ones I return to again and again.
- Miriam Makeba, The Click Song
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Tum Aik Gorakh Dhanda Ho
- Charles Aznavour, What Makes a Man
- Gil- Scott Heron, The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
- Les Miserables, Do You Hear The People Sing?
- Palestinian Resistance, Ya Taleel al Jabal
- Dub Sharma ft Divine, Azadi
- Khushboo Raj, Rekha Jha, Womaniya
- Shungudzo, ‘Merican Dream
- Tchaikovsky, None But The Lonely Heart
Maria Amir is a journalist turned teacher. She is currently pursuing her PhD in Global Gender Studies at SUNY, Buffalo. Her research interests include South Asian feminist folklore, parameters of protest and Women’s Movements. She tweets at @Beentherella.